Monday, August 9, 2010

Mini-Vacations!

So, while I'm excited about receiving a British education (for however short a while), what I might be just a teensy bit MORE excited about are my mini-vacations I've planned out! Now I'm investing in a lovely Eurail pass that will give me 10 days worth of train time spanned over 3 months. Unfortunately, Eurail doesn't cover Great Britain so any trips I make on the island will be going out of King's Cross (which is actually pretty cheap. I'd look into it if I were you).

#1: Will be a trip to Ediburgh, Scotland. It's more like a pilgrimage to visit the birthplace of the Harry Potter series and JK Rowling's inspiration. Only another nerd like me would understand I think but yes.
Isn't it lovely? Some quick facts: Pricewise, this is my cheapest trip. A) Because it's in Great Britain. B) No Chunnel pass required. C) Hotels/B&Bs are generally cheaper. So yay for birthday trips!
#2: Venice, Italy. Total tourist trap. Expensive accommodations. Use of $50 each way Chunnel pass to get to the Continent and Eurail travel days. But I want to go to a city with canals so I've decided to stick with it.
 
So yes, my advice (because I'm such an expert) if you love a place, stick with it :) You might only get this chance once.
#3: Volterra, Italy. I decided pretty early on I wanted to go to Tuscany but places like Chianti came with warnings such as: expensive, crowded, no real chance to admire things. Which discouraged a leisurely traveler such as myself. LO AND BEHOLD, there was a link to a site called 'Off the Beaten Path: Hidden Treasures of Tuscany' or something like that. My memory's a bit fuzzy. But I clicked it and somewhere on the middle of the list was Volterra! After research to corroborate this, I decided it was definitely going on the list. I can always swing by Rome later.
 
Classic Tuscany :)
#4: Paris, France. I know, I know. And I say I wanted to avoid tourist traps but by golly, I've always wanted to visit Paris and I don't know when the next time I'll be armed with a Eurail pass and four-day weekends will be. It's my most expensive vacation, topping Barcelona by a hair and Venice by a mile or two. Poor Volterra and Edinburgh aren't even in the same race. But I figure no other explanation is necessary so let's just enjoy the pretty picture.


 
Word of advice though! If you're going to Paris or entertaining the notion, what I decided to do (and the most cost-efficient course) is to stay in a small hostel/B&B/hotel just a few miles outside of paris (12-15ish) and you'll see the price drop at least $100. Sure it doesn't have a view of the Eiffel Tower but the trains are just a few dollars and there's always walking to really take it all in. Besides, how else are you supposed to find the cute bakery with the best croissants?
#5: Barcelona, Spain. My motherland. Winners of the World Cup. Obligatory. I chose Barcelona however because I wanted to be close to a beach at some point. That's really it. And it wasn't like it was any more expensive than Madrid.


So that wraps up my five mini-vacations and whatever advice I have to dispense for the day. I apologize for the alignment going on there. I really don't know why it decided to stop centering :| Ah well, c'est la vie. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best of luck with this. Even while being in France, Paris proved to be an expensive day trip.

    In Venice, try to find cheaper places to stay in around Mestre and see if they offer hostel prices.

    -French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thank you so much. Advice is much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete