Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Double Faucet (???)

In the past five days, I like to think I've adjusted reasonably well to life in another country. I've got a handle on the lingo (however small that handle may be) and I've learned not to complain about walking to the grocery store and back every time I need something because buying excessive groceries makes for a HORRIBLE walk home. The one thing I have yet to understand is this:


Ladies and gentlemen, the double faucet. Hot water comes out one spicket and cold water from the other. I thought this was cool at first because the hot water warms up super fast so very naively, I thought: "HEY, I'll never have to wash my face with cold water!" Wrong :| I have yet to wash my face with warm water. Why you may ask? Because the water gets hot. Super fast. And it scalds.

With two streams of water, the cold and hot water never mix. So it never gets warm. It's either really cold or really hot. And all the faucets are the same from the sinks to the showers. Except the one in the kitchen, which is what I'm used to. Even then though, the faucet is quite the cheater because there are two very separate and distinct flows of water from the spicket. This means that you might be thinking your washing your hands in frigid water but move them back a half inch and suddenly it's scalding which means back to the cold. It's like I can't win.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Because it doesn't seem to bother any of my British flatmates. In fact, when I mentioned how odd I thought it was, they looked at me like I had asked about a faucet coming out of my arm or something. Maybe I've just been living in my little bubble for too long.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! At my old elementary school, the girls bathroom had a faucet like like that too. I don't get it?

    ReplyDelete