Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The First Post About London

So this is my third day in London but I've been so jetlagged the last few days, they seem kind of like a blur. Last night though, I finally slept all through the night (which makes me sound like a fussy 1-year-old but whatever) which hopefully means I'll be rested today and won't have to fight the urge to nap.

London is every wonderful thing I thought it would be and then some. It was a lot colder than I figured it would be though. I trotted out of Heathrow in my short-sleeved v-neck and sweater and instantly froze. I'll be lucky if I defrost by May. It hasn't rained yet though so I've been able to walk around and explore some.

The school I'm in now is in the East End of London which means I can see Central London (or "downtown" if you will) which is where all the nifty things are and if I get on the bus (which I accidentally did yesterday), I can see the new Olympic stadium. Well, sort of. It's covered up by machines and little wood walls.

There are cute little shops everywhere but in none of these shops have I been able to find
-a voltage converter
-a pillow
I looked for Argos yesterday (think: Wal-Mart) but I couldn't find it. I did find a mall though, 2 Subways, 1 Burger King and a Starbucks but unfortunately, none of these places sell what I need so I'll keep looking. Luckily, my computer has a built in converter and I bought my phone here (The cheapo, super basic kind but in PINK) so though things are functional. I just want to be able to use my straightener. Even that might not be possible though since I may or may not have fried it my first 20 minutes here. But I won't know until I can get a converter! OH, the suspense!

In other news, my flatmates and I got to know each other last night over vino and creeping on the old people who live next door. (If you leave your curtains open and your lights on, then do interesting things by the window, people will watch you. It's a fact of life.) We talked about the stereotypes we had of each other and this is what they had to say about good ole' Texas:
1. Cowboy hats
2. Cowboy boots
3. Desert
4. "Those cows with the big horns"
5. Hot

They were surprised to learn that they were actually dead-on. For England, they taught me:
1. It's not actually raining all the time.
2. They really do drink a lot of tea.
3. They take dental hygeine seriously.
4. There really are PSAs about being friendly to visitors in preparation for the Olympics
5. They also drink. A lot.

All in all, it's been a good experience so far. I think I'm going to go look for a pillow again today since my last 3 days of searching have come up fruitless.




'

1 comment:

  1. I want to move to London! I've been there once on vacation and I loved it! Glad you had a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete