Sunday, September 12, 2010

The First Post About Writing

And it's going to be a short one for reasons I shall now disclose. Writing has always been a compulsion for me, more than an actual choice. It's been the way I make sense of the world as well as my outlet. I have no idea when this whole thing started but I find stories tracing back to kindergarten. So it's obviously a long-term thing. It's also a resilient addiction. Back when I tried to get my first book published and I hit rejection after rejection, I told myself 'Clearly, this is not where your strengths lie. Let's find something else to do.' I tried to quit cold turkey but came crawling back not 24 hours later.

Writing is my desire but it also has a gravitational pull for me. It is an intrinsic part of who I am. More specifically, I love to hand-write things. Yes, I hand-wrote my entire first book. And now, I think I may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Actually, judging from the piercing numbness that has held my hand captive for the past few days, I'm pretty sure I've fallen victim to it. And you know what I want to do? Hand-write my book. But I know for my health and comfort, I should probably try typing things for a little while since it causes me less pain. And who said authors don't suffer for their art?

If anyone has ever suffered from Carpal Tunnel, how do you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment