Wednesday, September 8, 2010

LDR

So as I mentioned at the very beginning of the blog, I'm in a long distance relationship for one more week with my wonderful boyfriend of 13 months, J. The plan was that he would come next Tuesday but the date has been pushed back to Wednesday and I could not be more impatient and excited!

This is our second time doing long distance. We met last May and because we lived four hours apart when we weren't at school, we decided we were just going to talk and be friends and see where we went from there. Not too long after, we become exclusive and we become "official" when we got back to school. This summer, we were separated at the beginning of May and finally, FINALLY, he's almost back! And we're almost to London!

For those of you going through a long distance relationship of any type, here are a few things I learned. My advice on advice? Take it all with a grain of salt.

1) Trust is hard. But it's important. He's never given me a reason not to trust him and yet there were some nights where I would worry, very randomly. I'd always call him and we'd talk things through. Trust is important though. If you're not going to have it, why even try in a relationship?

2) Communicate. Appreciate :)

3) Everyone loves getting mail!

4) Don't waste in-person time arguing about silly things.

5) Brownies are always a nice gesture.

6) Some days will go by fast and some days will go by unbearingly slow but, rest assured, they will all go by. time will pass and eventually, your separation will be over.

7) Stay entertained! Don't sit at home, filing your nails all day.

8) Celebrate the little milestones.

9) Live and let live

10) When things get rough: remember, it'll all be worth it in the end.

Again, I'm no professional. This is purely anecdotal. And I'd love to hear your stories about long distance relationships! How long were you separated and how  did you get through it?

No comments:

Post a Comment