Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Maybe They'll Like Me Over There

Alright, don't let the title fool you. I love it here. I have some of the best friends anyone could ask for and I've known them since middle and high school. The problem isn't in where I come from but where I go. I attend a very conservative, religiously affiliated university. I am not conservative. I have no idea why I chose to go there but at first it wasn't so bad. It just so happened that the longer I was there, the more it become apparent that I was very much a 'me' and everyone else was very much a 'them'. It wasn't a self-imposed segregation. Everyone else took care of that for me and in one fell swoop, I realized I didn't belong there.

I wasn't like them and I didn't want to be. I had no idea why my actions that would be considered normal by the overwhelming majority of the outside world were treated with such shock and dismay. I had no idea why people got engaged their sophomore year and married before they graduated. I just knew that most of the world didn't run this way. 

But, as fate would have it, it's too late to transfer. I'll have to finish up my last 3 semesters there and 1 will, thankfully, be spent across the pond. I really hope they'll like me over there. I know London is probably not like Small Town, Texas in a lot of ways. Thank. Goodness. It just makes me sad, though, to think that I haven't made many new friendships in college. Oh well. What can you do?

3 comments:

  1. Just be careful; Europe can prove to be shocking even for the most worldly-travelled. ^.^

    -French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll feel better soon! :)

    I like reading your posts, it's very nice, so I think I'll follow you now.

    Blog on! ^^

    Love, Cay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel about here, but at the same time I'm glad to have met you.

    Have an amazing time over there Alz, but don't forget about us!!
    There will be a party waiting when you get back :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete