Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Snow is Just Ice That Can Hit You in the Face

I believe the title accurately sums up how I feel about snow right now. Don't get me wrong. I'm from Texas and so, for my entire childhood, I saw not one flake of snow, except for this one time a little fell on the cars during church and the priest let us all go see it. I built a snowman about a third the size of my finger which is kind of pathetic considering the fact that I have a really small finger. So anyway, last winter, I got the chance to see snow up close and personal in my college further up north (but still in Texas). It snowed for 2 days and I had no way to prepare myself since they really don't sell cold weather clothes where I live. Needless to say, when it left, I wasn't sad to see it go.

FOR SOME REASON, I hadn't really thought about how cold it would get here. I guess I've never really been exposed to extreme levels of frostiness before but here, not even a week after Thanksgiving, THIS show up on my computer screen.


That means that there's snow on the ground and in the sky. And I'm sad to say, this little picture is a liar. It snowed all Wednesday. There was no sun. There's a strong breeze so the snow's flying, smacking everybody around. It's taken me a little bit to adjust but I think, with my 239482394 layers of clothing, I'll eventually be able to venture outside since, for the past few days, I've only been going out for class or groceries. Don't get me wrong. I still love this city and I'm so beyond grateful to be here. It's just that I've never been anywhere where it gets colder than 36 and this is a new experience. But I guess that's what traveling is- one new experience after another.

Friday, when the new high has changed to 27 degrees, the flatmates and I are going ice skating in one of the nearby rinks and J and I are going out to the kissing tree in Covent Garden. I promise to blog about it later. Unless I turn into an icicle that is.

And finally, if you guys feel so inclined, a sorta fairytale is having a giveaway for the most beautiful pearl necklace this side of the blogosophere so feel free to amble on over there and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment